It is our intent at Hollingwood Primary School to provide all of our children with a high-quality education in Modern Foreign Languages which develops their love of learning about other languages and cultures. The current MFL taught at Hollingwood Primary School is French and all children in KS2 benefit from regular lessons with a native speaking French teacher who introduces our children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating. Our MFL curriculum is designed to progressively develop our children’s language skills throughout KS2, developing their awareness of cultural differences in other countries and helping lay the foundations for future language learning. It is our intention to ensure that by the end of our children’s primary education, they have acquired an understanding of both spoken and written French. They will be given the opportunity to develop their confidence speaking in French with others and will develop an interest in learning other languages.
Our aims in teaching French are that all eligible children learn to:
- Understand and respond to spoken and written French from a variety of sources.
- Speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- Write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences.
- Discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in French.
- Develop their cultural awareness and cultural capital.
- Prepare for Key Stage 3 French.